Tuesday, September 20, 2011

If you watch any amount of TV or have an internet connection you have probably seen the video below. If not, do yourself a favor an see it now. I’ll wait…….



All done? Good, let's move forward. I was really struck by how angry this ibex seemed. I don’t speak Spanish so I can only assume that this reporter is saying something inappropriate about the Ibexes mother.
 I have always been suspicious of anything goatish (Ibex belong to the same genus, Capra, as goats), and this video seemed to confirm all my fears.  But being a good scientist, I decided to dig a little deeper and look into these cloven-hooved monsters, sorry animals.
Ibex are not all spit mad maniacs thirsting for sweet human flesh. The spitting behavior is usually used as communication between members of a group. Spitting can establish and maintain a hierarchy within the group, as well as solve minor squabbles between members.  Imagine using this at your next lab/work meeting, I am right now >>smile<<. The projectile itself usually consists of air and a little saliva. The reporter should count himself lucky though, the Ibex could have dredged up a little stomach acid if he really wanted to. 
Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment